CTF Newsletter – April 13th, 2015

This celebration recognizes the work to bring The Strand back to life. The Evanston Cultural Center preserves and revitalizes one of Evanston’s most beloved historical structures located in the heart of the city’s downtown Main Street. The brick building, constructed in 1918, was once Evanston’s premiere movie theater, known as “The Strand” until it was virtually destroyed by fire on May 7, 2007. After the fire, all that remained of the structure were the three main halls and the façade. In mid-2008, the owners donated the building and property to the Evanston Urban Renewal Agency. Since that time, the Agency, along with a dedicated group of volunteers, has striven to rehabilitate and transform it into the Evanston Cultural Center at The Strand.